Officer, Legal (Junior)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct research and provide sound advice and written legal opinions on various aspects of the law
- Prepares legal briefs for court matters
- Advise on new and emerging laws and regulations that may impact the Company
- Draft, review, negotiate, finalise and facilitate the execution of legal documents inclusive of construction, consultancy and maintenance contracts, leases and MOUs
- Draft policies and procedure guides pertaining to the Company’s operations
- Assist in the development and maintenance of an up-to-date repository of laws, judgments, contract precedents and other relative material in areas affecting the Company’s day-to-day operations
- Develop and maintain a well-organised, structured and up-to-date filing system with both electronic and physical files, and categorised computerised filing records
- Take notes at court, tribunals, legal proceedings and meetings and generate documents as required
- Timely preparation of Company submissions to Statutory bodies and other State entities including the Trinidad and Tobago Securities and Exchange Commission, the Environmental Management Authority and the Companies Registry
- Assist with Corporate Secretarial support functions as required
- Maintain an up-to-date contract database
- Conduct all duties in conformance with Health, Safety, Security & Environment (HSSE) requirements.
Perform other related work as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A recognised University Degree in Law;
- Legal Education Certificate or equivalent from a recognised institution;
- Admission to practice Law in Trinidad and Tobago AND a minimum of three (3) years’ experience working with an Attorney-at-Law;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Considered an Asset
- Knowledge of Sports Law.
Or any equivalent combination of qualification and experience.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of legal research
- Extensive knowledge of the Laws of Trinidad and Tobago especially Company Law, Industrial Relations Law, the Freedom of Information Act and laws, regulations and guidelines pertinent to the operations of State Enterprises
- Knowledge of the court procedures, practices, and the Civil Proceedings Rules
- In depth knowledge and experience in contract drafting
- Knowledge of Construction law, and the application of the standard forms of FIDIC contracts
- Knowledge of Procurement Law and best practices and the tendering/procurement process pertinent to State Enterprises
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Skilled in the use of personal computers and developing databases
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and members of the public.
If you think you possess the required competencies, kindly submit your application no later than 20th March 2023. Applications should be submitted to [email protected] Subject: OFFICER, LEGAL (Junior)
Unsuitable applications will not be acknowledged.